Also known as dried milk, powdered milk is a dairy product widely used in the manufacturing process of baby formulas and confectionery. It is made by evaporating milk until it becomes a powder. Thanks to this process, its shelf-life is much longer than the one of regular milk, and it does not require any refrigeration.
That’s why it is common in regions where fresh milk is not a viable option – the United Nations, for example, distributes dry milk in impoverished areas and shelters. To make milk from powdered milk, you just have to add some water.
It’s as simple as that. But there are some other recipes you can make with powdered milk. And some of them aren’t even cooking recipes. We’ll talk about that later in this article! Here are a few things to do with powdered milk…
1. Hot Chocolate
Replacing milk with powdered milk may actually improve your hot chocolate recipe – at least as far as the texture is concerned since it is going to be much creamier. Here’s a recipe you can follow:
- Ingredients: 1/3 cup sugar; 2/3 cup baking cocoa; 1/2 cups powdered milk; mini marshmallows (optional).
- Instructions: Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir them until they are perfectly mixed up. Then put 1/3 of this cocoa mix in a mug and add hot water. Pour two or three miniature marshmallows into the mug and enjoy your hot chocolate.
2. Chocolate Pudding
Powdered milk makes puddings thicker and silkier. It’s a trick that many cooks use to achieve the perfect pudding. Here’s a recipe you can follow:
- Ingredients:1 cup powdered milk; 1/3 cup cornstarch; 1/3 cup sugar; 3 cups of tap water; salt; 1/3 cup of unsweetened baking cocoa.
- Instructions: Grab a saucepan and mix the dry ingredients with 3 cups of tap water.
Do it until you have a smooth mixture. Cook in medium heat and stir the mixture at the same time. After the pudding starts boiling, wait about a minute and a half and remove it from the heat source. Give it some time to cool down before serving.
3. Evaporated Milk
Evaporated milk is used in recipes to help achieve that creamy and rich taste that plain milk can’t provide. It is so basic that everyone should know how to do it. Here’s a recipe you can follow:
- Ingredients: 1 ¼ cups water; 1 cup powdered milk.
- Instructions: Pour the water into a large cup and add powdered milk. Stir it until the milk powder is completely dissolved. That’s it. You now have the same quantity of evaporated milk as a regular 12 oz can of evaporated milk you can buy at the supermarket.
4. Sweetened Condensed Milk
Why buy a can of sweetened condensed milk when you can make your own easily with powdered milk and a few other ingredients? Here’s a recipe you can follow:
- Ingredients: 1 cup hot tap water; 2 cups sugar; 2 cups powdered milk; 6 tablespoons melted margarine.
- Instructions: Grab your blender and pour all the ingredients inside of it. Whirl it around for about a minute and a half. There you go. Now you have about two cans of sweetened condensed milk at your disposal.
You can make homemade yogurt with powdered milk. And it is much more simple than you might think (although it takes much longer than the other recipes on this list). Here’s a recipe you can follow:
- Ingredients needed: 1 cup powdered milk; 3 3⁄4cups warm tap water; 2-4tablespoons Dannon plain yogurt.
- Instructions: Grab a saucepan and combine the warm water with the powdered milk. Put the saucepan under medium heat and stir the mixture continuously (you can use an electric blender to make it smoother). Wait until small bubbles start to form (it should take approximately five minutes) and then pour the milk into a pitcher and put it in the fridge where it will cool down to 100 ºF – it should take about 50 minutes. 25 minutes in the fridge, and 25 minutes at room temperature. When the milk is finally at 100 ºF, stir in the Dannon yogurt. Pour the yogurt into a clean canning jar and close it. Use a towel or blanket to wrap the jar and then place it in a styrofoam cooler or haybox. Let it sit for about 9 hours.
6.Powdered Coffee Creamer
For some people, coffee creamer can make coffee drinks smoother and give them a better taste. If you are one of these people, you can make your powdered coffee creamer at home using simply three ingredients.
- Ingredients:3 cups powdered milk; 3/4 cups of sugar; 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil.
- Instructions: Melt the coconut oil and combine all three ingredients in a blender. You will get a powdered mixture that you can safely store for a long time and use it as a coffee creamer whenever you feel like it.
7. Powdered Milk Facial Mask
One of the alternatives uses for powdered milk is related to your skincare routine. Milk has moisturizing properties that will make your skin look smooth. If you don’t believe us, look up online to find all the milk benefits for the skin.
You don’t need a guided recipe to make a facial mask using powdered milk. Just mix powdered milk with a small amount of water to form a thick paste and apply this mixture to your face. If you suffer from skin irritation, this mask can do wonders.
8. Milk Bath
Another beauty use for powdered milk! People have been bathing in milk for centuries. This practice can help you achieve soft skin by removing dead skin cells and hydrating. On top of that, the thickness of the milk adds a lot more relaxation to the bath. Try it!
Pour 2 cups of powdered milk to your bathtub under hot running water until you have a sufficient amount of water covering the tub. Then put on some relaxing music, lie back, and enjoy yourself.