in

9 House Products That Can Turn Toxic Without You Noticing!

If you think that all home items are safe and healthy for you to use, you better think twice. In reality, there are a lot of products, mostly cleaning items, that are extremely dangerous for us and our health due to their components.

Most of us know that breathing such products for a long time or accidentally drinking them might have severe consequences on our bodies and well-being. However, there are a lot of toxic products sitting around in our homes that might be causing us some serious health problems without us even noticing it. That’s where we come in, and present to you this list of the top 9 most toxic and dangerous items that you might have in your house. Keep reading to find out!

1. Frying pans

Non-stick pans are known to release a toxic gas when heated up, this toxic component, also known as PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid) will evaporate with the heating of the pan or get absorbed by the food you’re cooking in that same pan. More than 95% of the people living in this world were found to have PFOA residuals in their blood analysis.

Isn’t that scary? If you think so, let us tell you what this actually does to your body in large quantities. Firstly, it can be the cause of several possible tumors on your body, it can also have a toxic effect on your immune system, and lead to future endocrine and liver problems. Last but not least, it’s also a carcinogen. If you don’t know what this means, it is basically any substance that promotes cancer.

It is quite mind-blowing when you think about it, after all, we use these pans on a daily basis, so, how should we proceed? Nowadays, there are many healthier pan options, some companies don’t use PFOA at all and if you’re still not sure, opt for a ceramic pan, the toxic coating on these is much quicker to disappear than on a regular Teflon pan.

2. Old batteries

We’re talking about phone batteries, toys, computers, even your remote control battery! If it doesn’t work anymore or if it’s old: throw it away! And not just throw it in any way. Even though alkaline batteries can be thrown away with other normal trash it’s always important to recycle. But why are batteries so dangerous?

Batteries are made with sulfuric acid. The name itself doesn’t sound very appealing, does it? Especially when in contact with the skin, this leaked liquid can provide a horrible burning sensation and leave some marks! Phone batteries are also very dangerous because they release fluoride gas, which is a very toxic gas to be breathing,causing a lot of health risks.

And of course, batteries emit hydrogen gas, which means they’re flammable. So be careful with these items, and never let your kids play with them! 3.Air fresheners Don’t be fooled by the packaging, even these so-called organic and 100% natural air fresheners are capable of releasing toxic elements into the air that we breathe.

Even though this subject isn’t discussed at all, a lot of people that complain about headaches, breathing problems, asthma attacks, and allergies all have one thing in common: “air fresheners.” A great option to have a great smell around your house is to grab a lemon or other fruit you enjoy the scent of and squeeze the juice into a spray bottle or can (to keep it cold and fresh) and then just spray it on the corners of your house.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, be careful and don’t go crazy with it since the smell can be quite overwhelming if too much is spread. If you only wish to remove a specific smell from your house, either a strong meal smell or maybe your dog went number two on the carpet, just simply put a bowl of vinegar in that same room and let it sit overnight. I know it sounds crazy but it actually absorbs the smell! Try it and see for yourself!

4. Laser printer

When talking about printing stuff, an image of a printer machine might come to your head, the noise it makes, but, what about the smell? Printers have this particular smell to them. This smell comes mostly from the toner and the machine working and printing.

These toners, however, contain a compound called carbon black, which, again, is a carcinogen. A lot of doctors compare breathing near a laser printer similar to smoking cigarettes, and we all know that cigarettes are not the most healthy thing on this planet.

The best thing you can do is to leave the room when printing something. If you just bought a printer and you’re wondering where to put it, the answer is simple and effective: near a window, so you can open it while you use your machine. This way, the dangerous particles that are released won’t reach you and consequently, you won’t breathe them in.

5. Plastic containers

The biggest mistake we’re making in our daily lives! Yes, storage plastic containers are easy, light, they come in every color, and most importantly, they’re cheap. However, just like with water bottles (that are made of plastic), when used for a while the plastic itself releases some nasty chemicals called BPA.

These chemicals have been associated with health conditions such as diabetes, cancer, and infertility. Of course, major companies tell us that the BPA quantity we absorb in our lifetime isn’t dangerous at all, but these are the same companies trying to profit out of what we buy!

There are many companies that make healthy containers, but you should expect a higher price for higher quality, not only in material and longevity but also you’ll be spending more money on something that doesn’t harm you or won’t cause you health problems in the future.

Lunch boxes made of glass are also a great option, these are definitely on the heavier side, so maybe not a great option for the kids, but a great option for grown-ups!

6. Aluminum foil

We know this might come as a surprise, but before you jump to any conclusions, aluminum foil is not as dangerous as other items on this list. In fact, this item is not considered to be dangerous at all, as long as you’re careful when using it.

Aluminum foil particles can transfer to your food, especially when you cook food wrapped in it. Even though it’s not life-threatening, it can lead to health problems and some complications such as Crohn’s disease also known as IBD (inflammatory bowel disease).

A baking sheet, silicone or metal lid or even parchment paper are great alternatives for aluminum foil, but as long as you’re using it consciously, it shouldn’t be a problem.

7. Oven cleaners

Oven and drain cleaners are specially made for removing blockage and grime from these objects, so it’s only understandable that they are not made to be in contact with human skin since it can cause severe burns and possibly damage our skin tissue for life.

Because of its toxic components like Sulfuric Acid and many others, if inhaled it can also lead to respiratory problems, so if you have asthma symptoms it’s best to stay away from these products, and if that’s not possible, consider wearing a mask and gloves while using it.

ADVERTISEMENT

8. Mothballs

If you’ve used this item all your life, you’re probably confused as to why are mothballs toxic. After all, how can these tiny balls that smell so nice and keep our clothes smelling good and protected be harmful to us?

Well, in case you didn’t know, and if you’re reading this, you probably don’t, mothballs contain something called naphthalene, which is the reason why they have a strong smell, however this component is not so friendly when it comes to your red blood cells.

It can cause nausea, vomiting, and possible kidney failure if ingested. Of course, this will only happen if you’re exposed to this item a lot, and if you feel uneasy, don’t worry! There are other ways you can make your clothes smell great in a healthier way, cedar chips are a great option, they repel moths and absorb any bad smell the clothes might have.

9. Bleach

Last but not least, one of the most used cleaning products ever: bleach. If you used bleach before, you’re probably aware of its strong smell and power. Even though it makes your house super clean, it is also one of the most dangerous items you have in your household.

From horrible burns to blindness, the side effects of bleach once in contact with skin or inhaled are not pretty. And if bleach by itself is pretty toxic, when mixed with other products it will create chlorine gas, causing life-threatening respiratory problems and lung deficiency.

You should definitely be careful around this product! While some of these items require only adequate care and a lot of attention and responsibility while using them, others can and should be replaced.

Now, since you already know what is bad for you and what could be better for your overall lifestyle as well for diminishing possible health issues, why not change your habits?

ADVERTISEMENT

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

0

Comments

0 comments

9 Brilliant Uses For Brown Paper Bags You Should Try!

11 Smart Life Hacks That Will Change Your Life!